The role of Cloud DevOps Engineer is a blend of architecture, automation, security, development and second-day operations and administration. It is a hands-on technical position in a fast-paced atmosphere. The ideal candidate strives to solve traditional operations problems through automation and software. In addition, the candidate must uphold a high standard of excellence, have a strong customer focus and be capable of technical deep-dives into code, cloud services and configurations, databases, load balancer, network, operating systems, and storage.
You will be responsible for developing and running a wide variety of consumable platform services that are highly automated and secure and compliant by design. Cloud will grow over time and so will the responsibilities and activities. Eventually your responsibilities will include:
- Automate processes (e.g. security, infra provisioning);
- Second-day operations (e.g. monitoring, billing, incidents 24/7 on-call rotation);
- Advise on the use of new cloud native solutions and create component designs for those services;
- Listen to client and provide suitable solution.
Your experience and skills
Within Cloud we expect a T-shaped skill set. Essentially, the T-shaped concept is a metaphor for the depth and breadth of an individual’s skills. The vertical bar on the ‘T’ represents the depth of related skills and expertise in a single field, whereas the horizontal bar represents a breadth of skills and the ability to collaborate across disciplines with experts in other areas and to apply knowledge in areas of expertise other than the individual’s own area.
To be successful in this job, you need to have experience of developing software and have a good understanding of the underlying components such as operating systems, databases, network components, etc.
Automating processes and work is second nature to you and you are aware of the complexity of automation within a large and complex financial institution.
Working in IT requires continuous learning, even more so within cloud. You are used to keeping up with the latest developments, not only by continuous learning but also by being aware of the developments in the market. You have experience of translating customer needs into technical solutions.
We expect a BSc/MSc degree in Computer Science or a related technical field.
The following Certifications are highly desired. Candidates are expected to achieve one or more cloud certifications beforehand:
AWS (one of the following)
- Certified Solutions Architect Associate
- Certified Developer – Associate
- Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate
Azure (one of the following)
- Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions
- Implementing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions
- Architecting Microsoft Azure Solutions
- Solid skills in coding/scripting
- Ideally Python or Ruby / bash / PowerShell
- Experience of version control systems like Github or SubVersion
- Object-Oriented Design principles
Depending on your role within the cloud team, you will need to have solid knowledge of one of the following topics:
Knowledge of CI/CD, networking, systems administration and engineering, security, monitoring and of the cloud platform (AWS / Azure)
CI/CD tooling: Jenkins, Gitlab, Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services
Infra as code: ARM templates, CloudFormation, Terraform, Ansible
Networking: TCP/IP and UDP, subnetting, firewalls, VPNs
Systems Administration and Engineering: Knowledge on RHEL or Windows Server
Security: Implementing security guidelines, native security solutions for cloud
Containerisation: Docker, Kubernetes
Monitoring: e.g. Splunk or cloud native alternatives
Agile practices: Scrum, DevOps, Kanban
- High learning agility
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to persuade others through presentations, demonstrations and written communication
- Collaboration skills
- Analytical skills
- Ability to use own judgment and initiative in problem resolution
- Strong skills as trusted adviser and technical subject matter expert
- Takes initiative
Your team and challenge
You will be part of the Cloud team that provides our business with easy-to-use and secure cloud and other platform services on which they can run their application and can use as a platform for innovation.
We welcome creative engineers and technology enthusiasts who enjoy being challenged by technical problems, with a strong desire to make services better for our users.
We're looking for people like you who can help us embed an awesome culture and improve it over time. People who use their intelligence and whatever tools make sense to get the job done. People who love to stand on the shoulders of giants and collaborate to solve new problems and thrive in a rapidly innovating space.
We offer you
- Work that stretches you technically is a given;
- We offer the opportunity to play an important role in driving change within our business and to join a high performance team on a journey of change;
- We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we will give you the freedom, the tools and the fun, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before.
- 36-40 hour workweek;
- Work location is The Hague;
- Function in jobscale 10.
More information about our employee benefits can be found here.
How to apply?
Are you the one we are looking for? Then apply directly by clicking the button below this vacancy.
Do you have questions or do you need more information about the job, please call Leon Kortekaas, manager Cloud Integration, on 06-41517834. Any questions about the application process? Please call HR Business Partner Werner Weber Recruiter on 06-21280354.
More information about our application process can be found here.